Friday, January 1, 2010

Merry New Year!

Anybody else remember Eddie Murphy in "Trading Places"? Taking the train to Philly to bust Mortimer and Randolph on the orange juice thing.

It's a New Year and I'm going to experiment with expressing myself in this medium. Daily posting is not a likelihood, weekly is probably as good as it will get. It will be boring and serious sometimes, but hopefully light and informative others. It's supposed to be fun, right?

A little bit of introduction...I'm middle-aged, newly married, desperately trying to finish a PhD, and just as desperately trying to be good at my new job. I'm an assistant professor at a major state university in the South. All will be obvious enough in good time, but I'll start off by trying to be at least a little bit coy.

Items of importance:
1. My husband is the one true best thing in my life.
2. I'm a Christian of the Episcopal flavor.
3. Politically, I strive to be a radical moderate. This tends to keep me at odds with everybody, but makes it easier to live with myself.

Things I want to achieve this year, other than the usual personal relationship and career stuff:
1. Maintain a daily spiritual practice.
2. Be comfortable with my health. I'm not getting any younger, you know.
3. Make some new friends. Moving 900 miles and experiencing a couple of major life changes has left me feeling rather isolated (with the exception of #1 Item of Importance) and I'd like to change that.

Okay, that's enough for now.

Oh, and the title of the blog is from a song by the McGarrigle Sisters titled "You Tell Me That I'm Falling Down". Maybe someday I'll figure out how to link it here so that others may enjoy it too.

2 comments:

  1. Blogging has a way of easing the isolation. It's not the same as having coffee with a friend, but you find a few kindred spirits out in the ether.

    ReplyDelete