Sunday, January 3, 2010

Kyrie Eleison

Tonight I sent in my first attempt at revising my dissertation. It's so hard to predict what will happen next; all I can do at this point is pray and hope I didn't screw too much of it up. It's been a long process and the long version narrative is forthcoming. For now, I'm just pleased to have reached the next milepost. All I can say right now is that my husband is a saint and my employer is incredibly understanding.

I celebrated by following my planned spiritual practice for the day. I've found a wonderful iTunes version of the Daily Office. Since today is Sunday there is only Evening Prayer and Night Prayer. Other days of the week offer an Invitatory Psalm, Daily Prayer and a Daytime Prayer as well as an Office of Readings. The days when I'll be able to listen to all of the podcasts will be few if any. However, if I can manage two or three a day, or even one, I will be pleased. It's a Roman Catholic production, so certain details are different (ok, it was way too Mary-centric for my tastes yesterday) but 1) it's a wonderful resource 2) the music is absolutely first rate and 3) how much easier could it be?

Tomorrow morning will be a challenge - I plan on getting up at the regular weekday time and putting in a full day at the office. We've been pretty lazy over the past couple of weeks about the whole morning routine thing (understatement) so it's going to be a rough start. But I'm rather looking forward to it. Morning Prayer!

6 comments:

  1. Hi - MadPriest sent me! Welcome to the Neighbourhood, annski! And I don't even manage weekly blogging, so fret not about frequency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also sent over by the MadOne...I love morning prayer...I have a link on my blog to the Mission of St. Clare which has a daily, online Morning Prayer from the BCP with lectionary readings. It even has some hymns to sing!

    Welcome to our crazy neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the MadPriest--I am so impressed that you have written your dissertation. I'm supposed to, but am old (and in the way) and have procrastinated too long. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lois, thank you for the welcome, I'm looking forward to spending more time here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eileen, I love the Mission of St. Clare, and also Josh's dailyoffice.org, particularly the way he incorporates the New Zealand prayer book. One of the reasons I've gone podcast is that I have poor listening skills and want to work on my ability to focus on what is being said to me. The other is that music touches me deeply, and I must say that these Catholics have pretty excellent taste. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan, if only writing the dissertation were the end of it. I think the revisions are what will do me in. But I love my job, so I am motivated. I'm old, too (born in the Eisenhower administration, albeit late-ish) and this is definitely work for the very young! Thanks for your good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete