Friday, January 8, 2010

The Chimes rang out at Midnight

Last night, the University of Alabama won the NCAA National Championship Football title by beating the University of Texas in a game that was by turns frustrating, agonizing, exciting, boring, a little too exciting and, finally, euphoric. We watched at the home of a colleague with a bunch of people who know a whole lot more about Bama football than we do, and have a lot of passion for the stuff. It was a great time. Our contribution to the festivities was a crock pot full of Bevo (UT’s bovine mascot) y Queso dip, which was well received.

After five hours of hanging out with fun people and generally having a blast and feeling on top of the world, we couldn’t resist taking a detour through campus on our way home. Okay, so it was like way out of the way, but how often do you get to be in a college town when they’ve just won the national championship in anything, much less the sport for which they are rightfully the best known? There weren’t huge crowds or massive unruliness. No burning cars – the good people of Tuscaloosa, Alabama are far too genteel for that sort of thing. Just people running around, screaming, hugging, standing in line in 20 degree weather for championship t-shirts and creating experiences they will remember forever.

The highlight was hearing the Denny Chimes ring out the midnight hour as we waited in a line of traffic on University Boulevard. The University of Alabama campus is beautiful and the Quad area is one of the most picturesque I’ve seen. The Denny Chimes are housed in a campanile that was built as a memorial to those students who fought in World War I. The chimes ring out the day Westminster style and occasionally host carillon concerts. But early this morning, they rang in the first full day of Alabama’s reign as college football’s national champion. And we were there and it was thrilling and awesome.

Now back to work.

4 comments:

  1. Hi annski. I remember you from your visits and words at my blog. Welcome to the blogosphere.

    I don't watch football because - well just because. I don't want to get into a controversy over football. My husband, Grandpère and I both have degrees from LSU. GP watched the game hoping for Alabama to lose, because Alabama and LSU are such rivals that he always wants Alabama to lose. Sad, I know.

    Anyway, as Crimson Tide fans rejoiced, GP was glum. But nonpartisan that I am, I say, "Yay for Alabama!" A winner is a winner.

    I'll add your blog to my blogroll, for what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, annski. MadPriest sent me over here and I always do what he says....(NOT!) :-)

    And, yes, I'm glad your side won.

    Looking forward to getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandmere Mimi, I am touched and honored that you have visited my little blog. Thank you! And give my best to GP. I don't suppose he watched any basketball yesterday, did he?

    Watching sports is the one thing my family could do in relative peace. My one true love is Kansas State University, which is a sure path to heartbreak but also how I have met and stayed in touch with some of my dearest friends. Yes, it's a little shallow, but I've learned to live with that, too.

    Thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie, thank you for obeying the Mad One and venturing over here. I'm a native of SE Kansas and it is nice to hear from someone so close to home!

    ReplyDelete